Saturday, January 29, 2011

Things to do

I'm not talking about a list of things to do, but I think one of the secrets to happy is having things in your life to do, and if circumstance hasn't provided this for you (like having kids), you need to go out and do it for yourself.  The more empty time you have, the emptier your life will feel. It probably doesn't even matter what it is. For me, I work long hours, which fills plenty of time.  The rest of the time is filled with family and friends, organising netball, study, watering my new herb garden and cleaning (and thoughts of leaning musical instruments, reading and learning to juggle). I have amassed a big enough internal list of things that I could do to fill my time that I am never bored or without things to do.

It's just a suggestion, but I think it would help to have more things to do (=less time to dwell), whether it's study, volunteering, a new passion for cleaning, a WEA short course whatever, just something to exercise your mind and maybe challenge the comfort perimetres... Don't know what the right thing to do is? I can relate. You can either let me pick something for you to start with or have a proper think about it yourself.  I'll give you an example though - Robert is sick of feeling at the mercy of outboard mechanics and having to outsource all of the time because he doesn't know about them, so he's enrolled in a short course to learn about them. Is that the answer to happiness? No, but it's a distraction away from unhappiness, which is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment